Friday, March 14, 2008

Traditional Dress

The most memorable part the entire trip for me, was seeing the reaction of the women in Kazar when Jerry, Alex, Alyssa Nausicaa, Abby, Mr. K, and myself wore traditonal dress. It was not wearing the clothing which was memorable, rather it was seeing connection and pride these women had to their culture.

Ironically, the experience started on a bad foot. After seeing that each suitcase only contained one outfit and after waiting for 20 minutes while Abby and Nausicaa just had their hair tended to, I began to worry about time. My host family lived an additional 40 minutes away from Kazar and Carey's host father had arrived 15 minutes before the suitcases were even brought out. When Bernadett requested on my behalf that I was dressed next (so I wouldn't have to keep Veronika's father waiting) she received a staunch "Nem."

Although I was finished being dressed (in only 4 out of the 6 layers in the suitcase) and began to play with the others donned in full traditional outfits, I could see how attached these women were to their culture. The more enthusiastic we got about the outfits and played with each other from dancing, to posing to for wedding photos, to making "traditional family portraits", the more apparent these women's ties to their culture became. These women were very proud of their culture and seemed enthralled that we too were excited about it. The most memorable moment was when I saw Barbie, the girl who my student has described as a punk-rocker, sing traditional folk songs for us as we danced. It was even more exhilarating to have all the women join in a chorus so Jerry and I would be able to dance.
The whole experience just made me think (and albeit wish) I had some sort of cultural ties. As a fourth or fifth generation American I am very far removed from any sort of ethnic ties. The only culture I can identify with is “American” which seems to be lacking any sort of traditional dress to be proud of.


No comments: