Friday, March 21, 2008

Somosko



One of my favorite parts of the trip was going to Somosko Castle (excuse the lack of appropriate accents), even though it was raining and foggy. But as someone else put it (Mr. K?), the lack of visibility somehow added to the mystique of the castle.



We slid down muddy paths, holding on to a slick railing, to see what I thought was one of the coolest things on the trip...

For those not there, the picture is a little blurry, but there are columns of basalt, that are hexagonal in shape. The unique thing about the ones here are that they are curved.
This was an especially unique experience for me because when I went to Ireland last year, I saw a similar formation at Giant's Causeway, on the northern coast. For comparison, see below:
















Another comparison, too many similarities maybe? (doll on the right)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.